The Shooters Shop – Frequently Asked Questions

The helpful staff at The Shooters Shop can assist you and answer the general questions on Firearms Licencing, Storage, and Use.  We have provided this section to help you with some frequently asked questions, however, please understand that all the information was correct at the time of publication and that it applies to the State of Western Australia only. If you require more in-depth information please contact Police Licencing on 1300 171 011 or use our Contact Form to communicate with us. If you are looking for Club information please see this page.

What are the different Firearm Categories?
Firearms are divided into the following 5 categories: A, B, C, E, H. For a detailed breakdown of these categories please follow this link.
How long does it take to approve my Firearm Licence application?

Whilst we endeavour to complete all licence applications in a timely manner there is no set period because of a number of factors, but not limited to:

• The complexity of the application;

• Lack of requisite information provided by applicants;

• Further information requiring follow-up;

• Resources to ensure that applicants meet the criteria as being fit and proper and that there is a genuine need/reason for the possession of a firearm.

Not to undertake these checks and balances is likely to put community safety at risk. Applications for an Original Firearm Licence require a 28 day cooling off period. After the initial 28 days cooling-off period, you will receive correspondence from Licensing Services Firearms requesting further information which you will need to supply within another 28 days, this will include notifying of your intent to proceed with the application.

Note: Legislation dictates that your application cannot proceed if you fail to supply the information requested by Licensing Services Firearms within the 28 days of your intention to proceed.

Can I have my application expedited?
No. Your application will be processed ‘in turn’ with all other applications.
How old do I have to be before I can be issued a Firearm Licence?

Under Section 10 of the Firearms Act, the minimum age for the issue of a licence or permit in Western Australia is 18. However, there are no age restrictions on the use of a firearm, other than a handgun, while under the direct supervision of the licensed owner of the firearm.

Further exemptions apply in the case where firearms are used on approved shooting ranges. Refer to Section 8 of the Firearms Act 1973. Juveniles may use a paintball firearm at an approved establishment if over the age of 16, however, will not be able to obtain a licence until 18 years.

Juveniles under the age of 16 may use paintball firearms at an approved establishment if in the company of a parent or guardian [23 (12) Firearms Act].

Do I have to provide a letter from a property owner giving me permission to shoot on their property?

Yes, a recreational shooter under Section 11A(2)(c) of the Firearms Act 1973 requires written permission from a property owner to satisfy the genuine reason for an applicant to use a firearm for hunting or recreational shooting.

If the applicant is the owner of a suitable property for the category of firearm being sought then the property letter is still required in order to verify details provided.

Do I have to carry my Firearm Licence?
If seeking to purchase ammunition or if you are in possession of a firearm you will need to produce your current Firearm Licence and photographic Firearm Identification Card (ELC).
Can I hunt on Crown Land?

No. Section 267 (2)(h) of the Land Administration Act 1997 prohibits the discharge of any firearm or other weapons on Crown Land.

Note: Duck hunting is not permitted in Western Australia.

I have my firearms licensed in another State, do I need to register them in WA?

Western Australia does not automatically recognise firearm licences issued in other jurisdictions. Under Sections 17 and 17A of the Firearms Act 1973, visitors from interstate need to apply for a temporary permit in order to lawfully possess firearms registered elsewhere while in WA.

This can either be done by contacting Licensing Services on 1300 171 011 prior to entering WA, by making application at the first available police station once inside WA. You are able to apply for a temporary permit for high powered firearms at a police station or by contacting Licensing Services directly.

If you are a new resident in WA, you must make an application for a Firearm Licence and have your firearm stored at an ‘authorised’ facility pending the outcome of your application.

Note: WA Police is not obliged to grant a permit.

Must I declare all convictions?
All convictions must be declared, including any offences committed in another jurisdiction (including overseas); traffic infringements or parking infringements do not have to be declared.
Can a member of my family or my partner transport my firearm/s for me?
Only if they are licensed to possess the firearm/s.  (Also refer to Section 8(i) of the Firearms Act 1973, which provides exemptions from licensing for family members and employees/contracted persons of Primary Producers).
Can I have my firearms held by another party for safe custody while I am away?

If you wish to store your firearms for safekeeping for an extended period, you may make arrangements through a Firearms Dealer to store them at an approved warehouse.

For extreme circumstance only, and at the discretion of the Officer in Charge of a Police Station, firearms may be stored at a police station on your behalf for a fee, however, this will not be for an extended period.

Who do I notify when I dispose of a firearm?

Forward details of the disposal of a firearm (including the buyer’s details and date sold) in writing to Licensing Services Firearms, Locked bag 9 East Perth WA 6892 or by email.

How do I inform Licensing Services Firearms of a change of name?

You must notify Licensing Services in writing of any change of name and provide evidence of the name change. You must provide a certified copy of:

• Change of name certificate issued by the Department of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
• Full birth certificate that includes the schedule of all names changes; or
• A marriage certificate.
• Decree Nisi (divorce).

Note The definition of certified – A copy of a document or record, signed and certified as a true copy of an original by an authorised person.